Following another year of aircraft damage, tragic deaths and traumatic injuries to employees of both carriers and handlers while working on aprons across the world – GHI has called an emergency summit meeting for airlines and ground service providers to fast-track potential safety improvements.
The Together for Ground Safety Summit
launches at this year’s Conference and will be held in a spirit of partnership and best practice-sharing between aviation stakeholders, who share a common goal of ensuring every employee returns home safe from their shift and aircraft avoid preventable damage.
Key discussion areas will include:
- Human factors in improving ground safety
- The importance of strong communication between airline and ground crews to avoid common accidents during tow, turnaround and pushback
- IGOM and the safety case for standardising ground operations by aircraft type
- Incident reporting: the role of airlines/handlers in creating a Just Culture where people feel safe to speak up about near misses
- Automation in improving ground safety
- Collaboration: sharing safety data and incidents among rival operators for the greater good
- Can we regulate our way to a safer industry? The case for legislation to boost ground safety standards